Howard Nemerov, "The Loon's Cry"

"... For signatures
In all things are, which leave us not alone
Even in the thought of death, and may by arts
Contemplative be found and named again."

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Promethean Pain


Prometheus Unbound, by Percy Bysshe Shelley

Prometheus' opening monologue.


Ah me! alas, pain, pain ever, for ever!

No change, no pause, no hope! Yet I endure.
I ask the Earth, have not the mountains felt?
I ask yon Heaven, the all-beholding Sun,
Has it not seen? The Sea, in storm or calm,
Heaven's ever-changing Shadow, spread below,
Have its deaf waves not heard my agony?
Ah me! alas, pain, pain ever, for ever!


Prometheus' liver about to be eaten by a vulture brought by Hermes (Mercury) by Zeus (Jupiter) - a cruel cycle that, according to Hesiod, is repeated daily after his liver has regenerated. Art by Gustave Moreau.

No comments: